Making your road map to retirement
I am not going to even try to address the issues related to saving for retirement there are many good books and financial advisors out that can give you much better advice than I can.
Retirement is the chance to start fresh
Imagine looking at a globe of the earth and realizing you can go anywhere in the world. Where would you go?
Retirement can be the same way. Up until this point in our lives many things have dictated our path. In retirement there can be many more choices. Of course some other things may still influence where we go but in the end there are choices to be made. To illustrate, recently I had a woman in the office who told me all the things she does for her grandchildren. I could tell by her expression she did not enjoy all of the things she told me about. I challenged her to think about the difference between a choice and an obligation. After a while she admitted, “I guess I didn’t have to set up the stinky turtle aquarium in my living room.”
What choices are you free to make?
- Where do you want to live?
- How do you want to spend your time?
- What gives you satisfaction and joy?
- Is there some place you have always wanted to visit?
- Is there something new you have wanted to learn?
- Are there hobbies you want to pursue?
- Do you want to spend more time with family and friends?
- Do you want to volunteer and help others?
The answer is different for each of us.
What resources do you need to get to your goals?
- Do you need to sign up for some classes?
- Do you need to move, eg. to be closer to family or your home is to big, etc?
- Do you want to move?
- Do you need equipment, or to dust off the stuff you have?
By taking time before you retire to plan and dream it can be an exciting new phase of life.